Our firm has a long history of representing clients in the consumer financial services industry. Consumer financial services regulations, and consumer protection laws in general, have become some of the most complex and heavily-litigated legal frameworks in the country over the last decade. Our team of attorneys have helped guide providers of consumer financial services and other consumer-facing businesses through the regulatory minefields.
Our firm works closely with Mortgage Resources Group, a mortgage document preparation company, to provide custom, dynamic packages of mortgage documents. For more information, please visit www.mrgdocs.com.
Middleberg Riddle’s consumer law group possesses detailed understanding of relevant state and federal laws, including:
- Federal & state data breach and consumer privacy laws
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- FTC advertising guidelines, including clean energy and green advertising rules
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- FTC’s Telemarketing Sales Rule
- TILA and Regulation Z
- Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act
- ECOA and Regulation B
- RESPA and Regulation X
- Consumer Leasing Act and Regulation M
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Electronic Funds and Transfer Act and Regulation E
- E-Sign and Uniform Electronic Transactions Act
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA)
- State Privacy and Telemarketing Laws
- State usury laws and Federal Preemption
- State Leasing Laws
- Motor Vehicle and Retail Installment Sales Acts
- Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act
- Fair Housing Act (FHA)
- Flood Disaster Protection Act
- USA PATRIOT Act and the US sanctions regime administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC)
- Laws affecting use of social media in advertising consumer goods and services
Advertising & Document Review
Two of the most commonly litigated areas of consumer protection law are non-compliant advertisements and technical errors in standardized documents. Middleberg Riddle’s attorneys have experience analyzing consumer finance documents, advertisements, and other consumer-facing materials to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations. Pro-actively engaging counsel to review and analyze advertising and standardized documents is an important step in maintaining compliance and mitigating risks.
Compliance Audits and Compliance Program Management
Middleberg Riddle attorneys include former compliance officers who understand how to implement, maintain, and reinforce compliance programs in ways that facilitate – rather than hinder – your business model. Likewise, our firm conducts compliance audits to help clients understand where their compliance risks may be, how to improve controls for those risks, and how to manage your compliance program on an ongoing basis.If your business involves providing consumer financial services or other consumer goods & services, give us a call to help ensure your company’s compliance.