Litigation services include the preparation and courtroom defense of major national and international corporations throughout the United States. The firm provides aggressive, creative and economical services to its litigation clients. The firm’s clients include numerous major chemical manufacturers, pharmaceutical manufacturers, multi-national construction and engineering corporations, medical product manufacturers and international insurers.
- Personal injury defense, product liability defense, industrial catastrophe litigation, general litigation involving mass class actions and mass disasters. Representative cases include the successful defense of the Space Shuttle for the manufacturer, representation of Union Carbide Corporation involving the 1982 explosion and evacuation of 17,000 residents of the River Parishes, and representation of a major manufacturer in the breast prosthesis litigation.
- State and federal regulatory representation regarding issues such as CERCLA, RCRA, SARA, and EPCRA matters.
- Toxic tort, chemical substance, and dust disease personal injury and property damage litigation.
- Insurance contract litigation, issues arising in the representation of London based insurers and reinsurers including jurisdiction and lex forum, excess liability, professional liability, property, and casualty defense.
- Middleberg Riddle & Gianna specializes in the handling of industrial catastrophes, including explosions, refinery fires and chemical fires, from investigation through trial.
- Defense of medical and legal malpractice litigation, hospital and nursing malpractice and architect/engineering liability.
- Defense of discrimination matters including the Civil Rights Act, Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and all matters involving employment discrimination including litigation before federal, state and municipal agencies, and in both federal and state courts.
- Worker's compensation matters before state administrative tribunals and before state courts.
- All forms of civil adversary proceedings in state and federal courts and tribunals, and before regulatory agencies with special emphasis on corporate and business disputes, relationships, consumer complaints and employee and labor disputes.
- Employment discrimination litigation as it relates to age, sex, sexual harassment, and claims of discrimination proscribed by all state and federal legislation.
- Appearance in administrative hearings, state and federal trial courts, representing major corporate employers and worker's compensation carriers.
- Contract litigation and matters involving insurance coverage and personal injury defense.
- Maritime personal injury actions involving the Jones Act and general maritime law claims, including issues of jurisdiction, forum, indemnity, longshore liability, choice of law, and insurance for P & I and hull exposure. We represent defendants and insurers.
- Full bankruptcy services, extending to all chapter proceedings as well as post-confirmation performance in Chapter 13 matters to lenders in all states.
- Monitoring affiliated local counsel to perform adversarial and enforcement services when needed.
- Advice on general bankruptcy matters.
- Middleberg Riddle & Gianna represents governmental entities in a wide variety of transactional and litigation matters, including employment discrimination and civil rights cases involving age, sex and political discrimination as well as in various forms of personal injury litigation.
- Commercial banking issues involving a variety of litigation contexts, with emphasis on defense and avoidance of lender liability, creditors’ rights in bankruptcy, collections, other loan-related litigation, and regulatory compliance issues.
- Mortgage banking litigation with special emphasis on debtor/creditor relations and mortgage default.
- Eviction procedures for mortgage banking entities, including coordination of compliance with state statutory requirements and the filing of actions against debtors to obtain deficiency judgments.
- Any attorney currently involved in litigation participates in some form of alternative dispute resolution. Middleberg, Riddle & Gianna attorneys who have listed this practice area are qualified to act as mediators or arbitrators.
- Mediation and arbitration provide confidential proceedings involving an objective third party neutral who facilitates the resolution of a dispute.
- Alternative dispute resolution can be tailored to meet the requirements of any business or individual case and is particularly useful when disputants have an on-going business or personal relationship.
- Prosecution and defense of litigation relating to health care, including contractual disputes, ERISA, regulatory and administrative proceedings, medical staff disputes, and medical malpractice defense.
- Representation of parties in litigation arising under the Fair Housing Act.